5 Acne-Causing Agents Hiding in Your Home
1. Pillows: You may be washing your face religiously but are you taking the same care with your bedding? Pillows are prime candidates for oil, germs, and bacteria that can clog pores and lead to nighttime breakouts. Our advice: Always sleep with a clean face. Wash your hair regularly or tie it up at night. Change your pillowcase at least once a week. (It seems like a lot but you wouldn’t wear the same dress all week, would you?) Switch to a fragrance-free, dye-free detergent and stick with cotton or bamboo over silks or flannel.
2. Towels: An overused towel is easy to overlook…until your body shows you the warning signs. Just think about it. Reaching for the same one day after day (or week after week) is just gross. Rule of thumb: After the second use, toss it in the hamper.
3. Creams and Lotions: Oily skin products are a major factor in taking you from Paradise to Pimpleville. Even organic and all natural skincare can be contributing to the problem. (For some lucky gals, no side effects are seen. But if you have sensitive acne-prone skin, listen up.) According to a study by the Face Reality Skin Care Clinic in San Leandro, California, lanolin, coconut oil, soybean oil, wheat germ oil, carrageenan, red algea, and potassium chloride are all ingredients listed as top offenders. Lean toward water-based formulas, read the label, and always ask for a sample to test.
4. Showers: In the winter many of us rely on long, hot showers to keep our body temperatures up. It may feel relaxing at the time, but your skin is crying out for help! This is the fastest way to leave your face high and dry. Cutting your shower time in half, lowering the temperature a smidge, and moisturizing immediately afterward are good habits to practice. Remember if your skin is super dry, your body will want to produce more oil, which potentially means more acne.
5. Heaters: Similar to showers, heaters zap the moisture right out of the air and your face. A store-bought humidifier will clear up this situation in no time. Any questions?