Brazilian Blowout BLOWOUT!
If it wasn’t official then… it sure is now. All those wishful thinking nay-sayers who hoped and prayed that reports about the hazards of the hair smoothing treatment The Brazilian Blowout were nothing but fear-mongering can all burst into a collective puddle of tears (I’m right there with you ladies.)
After months of speculation, complaints and debate, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has officially issued a Hazard Alert for anyone using or working with Brazilian Blowout hair straightening products. They’ve also stated that they will continue to work with the Food and Drug Administration and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health to “assess the exact gravity of the situation.” The release on OSHA’s website reads as follows:
Federal OSHA and State OSHA programs are investigating complaints from stylists and hair salon owners about exposure to formaldehyde while using GIB LLC dba (doing business as) Brazilian Blowout products and other hair smoothing products. OSHA has found formaldehyde in the air when stylists use hair smoothing products. Some had “formaldehyde-free” on the label or did not list formaldehyde on the product label or in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
In question is the fact that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, as well as the Brazilian Blowout’s use of the term ‘formaldehyde-free’ in it’s advertisement. Add to that the number of review boards that have measured the amount of formaldehyde in the product and deemed it unsafe (as much as eight times the permissible amount), and the multitude of complaints from consumers and beauticians from skin problems to trouble breathing – and it seems the Brazilian Blowout is not as safe as it claims to be.
And OSHA isn’t the only group working to stop the hair-straightening madness. A non-profit organization call the Environmental Working Group (EWG), has also pointed out that six countries, including Canada, have pulled the product (and other hair-straightening chemicals) from their salons and beauty store shelves due to excessive levels of formaldehyde.