Pretty Potions: Charcoal’s big bang
A sooty smear from the BBQ isn’t exactly the pretty picnic look any of us are striving for. Yet, charcoal is leaning in as the latest star to take the beauty product ingredient stage. Here’s why.
Activated charcoal powder (charcoal that has been treated with oxygen to make it more porous) has the unique ability to draw out impurities like toxins and bacteria by chemically binding to unwanted organic matter in cleansers, face masks and more, to be washed away. Particularly popular for oily or acne prone skin, charcoal is the new on-trend beauty buy for achieving a clean, luminous complexion. Take a peek at your fave beauty store and you’ll likely see charcoal-infused products for hair, body and skin. Here are five of our favorite examples:
1. Boscia’s Konjac Cleansing Sponge w/ Bamboo Charcoal works to gently exfoliate while konjac root and bamboo charcoal draw out impurities in the skin and minimize pores.
2. Orange Thyme Coal Lip Balm: Orange Thyme is awesome in general, but you should explore the depths of the strangeness and charm of charcoal lip balm.
3. Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser: The charcoal works to draws out and trap dirt and impurities to clean pores and leave your face clean and smooth.
4. Sort of Coal Kuro Shampoo: The white charcoal made from Japanese oak wood adsorbs all dirt and excess oil.
5. Freeman Facial Polishing Mask, Charcoal & Black Sugar: This multi-tasking mask and exfoliant first absorbs impurities and then exfoliates them away.