Here we are in the home stretch of 2013, which means it’s time to start the annual ticking off of all that was bold and beautiful in the last year — and cosmetics was a big one. Makeup moved fast and furious from last January ’til now, with celebrities, bloggers, and runways inspiring us to take on a few of it’s most irresistible trends. Let’s take a look at Posh Beauty’s top 5 2013 cosmetic trends that will likely follow us all the way into the New Year.
1. The top trend on our list was a biggie, seen on scores of fashion favorites, street style muses, and nearly every red carpet in town — a dark, dramatic pout. Painting your pout a classic cherry red, or a deep wine-hued burgundy was the thing to do in 2013 — making the necessity of a smokey-eye nearly obsolete when it comes to looking properly polished. A far cry from the 60′s inspired doe-eye and nude lip of the past (although this is still a good look, ladies), a simple red or wine-colored lip and some mascara is all that’s needed in evening makeup — and it’s equally as pretty during the day.
2. We can most likely thank super-model Cara Delevingne for the resurgence of another of this year’s top trends — big, bold brows. Makeup artists, models, and nearly everyone else put their tweezers away and let their over-the-eye fringe run wild. Of course, that doesn’t mean grooming was obsolete, there was much to be said for gingerly plucking strays, filling in sparse-spots (probably caused by the past trend’s overzealous tweezing), and brushing and gelling brows into place, for a look that was equal parts untamed and glamorously dramatic.
3. Everyone who’s anyone has something to say about perfecting this year’s cat-eye eyeliner trend, with celebrities notables like Zoey Deschanel, Emma Stone, and Dita Von Tease. A steady hand, and a good liquid or stay-put pencil liner is all that’s required (and the slew of online tutorials can’t hurt) to perfect the 2013 trend that creates the illusion of volume and fullness to the eyelashes and a lift to the eye.
4. Bangs are still a big one for 2013, with the emphasis being a cut the flatters one’s particular face shape. From long, side-swept fringe, to blunt, thick bangs — this cut can create the illusion of a lifted eye and accentuate the cheekbones in a single swoop. If you’ve ever thought, “I just can’t wear bangs… my face is too (fill in the blank.)” — think again, and then ask your stylist for help in choosing a look that’s right for you.
5. Gone are the days of one-size and color fits all foundation. 2013 continued the trend of makeup artists applying complexion-correcting makeup with a gentle-hand, while cosmetic brands revealed even more textures, hues, and multitasking ingredients — this year’s foundation options were indeed ripe for the picking. From multitasking BB and CC creams, to products created to benefit specific skin types, colors, and ages (yellows, beige, browns… creams, sticks, pots, wands) — there is literally a product to perfect every complexion with minimal application skill required.read more