Tuesday’s Tips: Harmless Hair Hacks
With the endless array of products, tools and technique available, when it comes to having the hair of your dreams, the world is essentially your oyster. Until it’s not. Harsh heat styling, product overload, and tugging and pulling is a direct recipe for damaging your hair, so in the spirit of DIY, we’ve found several harmless hair hacks to help reduce the stress on your strands and still get the style your looking for.
1. Let’s start with a favorite at-home way to revive less-than-lustrous locks: coconut oil. Coconut oil is not only a great stand-in for cooking oil, but slathered on your hair can be a miraculously moisturizing hair mask. Simply slather it on in lieu of your regular conditioner, wrap your hair in a warm towel and let it do it’s magic.
2. Looking to create volume and still avoid the pitfalls of damaging heated curling irons, rollers, and blowdryers? Simply mist your hair with water, roll sections into velcro rollers, and allow to dry completely before releasing.
3. Beachy waves are a go-to look for summer, but sheer amount of product sometimes used to create the look can border on the extreme. A quick way to add texture is to create a few random braids to dry hair, then give use a blow-dryer on them for a few minutes. Upon releasing the braids, you’ll have your beachy texture, without product residue or an excessive amount of heat styling.
4. If static is making a mockery of your perfectly placed coif, try running a dryer sheet over your hair to combat flyways.
5. Your over-the-eye fringe is just as important as the hair on your head, and can be just as unruly too. If you’re low on eyebrow gel, give your eyebrows some lip service by applying a small amount of lip balm then brushing the hairs into place.